The work of Heywood Sumner at Llanfair
In 1885 the Vicar's wife, Rosamund Lindsay died. Her husband - who had instigated the rebuilding of the church ten years earlier - decided to decorate the interior in her memory. The artist chosen, Heywood Sumner, came from an ecclesiastical family. His father was Bishop of Winchester and his mother the founder of The Mother's Union.
At Llanfair Kilgeddin he introduced sgraffito panels to enhance the interior, taking The Benedicite as his theme. This technique, which uses thin layers of different coloured plaster which are cut back to reveal the required colour underneath, was Roman in origin, but had been reintroduced into Britain by Henry Cole at the Victoria and Albert Museum. True to medieval tradition, Sumner included local features in his designs - for example in 'O Ye Mountains and Hills' on the north wall of the nave the nearby River Usk, the Sugar Loaf and Llanvihangel Gobion church tower are all included.
The sixteen sgraffito panels present a remarkably complete example of this style of work, and under the window which depicts 'All Ye Beasts' you will find his initials HS and the date 1888.