We are recruiting - are you interested?
St Cynhaearn was vested with the Friends in 2003 and we are fortunate that it has strong local support. It sits on the former island in Llyn Ystumllyn at the end of an ancient causeway.
The nave is 12th century, the north transept 16th century but in architectural terms it is the extraordinary late Georgian interior of 1832 which makes it special.
The two chief fittings are the chamber organ set in its west gallery and the three-decker pulpit (with a position for the priest delivering the sermon and a desk for those delivering the readings). The two excellent stained glass windows of 1899 and 1906 are both by Powell and Sons. The church is listed grade II*.
The churchyard uniquely includes the grave of a black man who lived out his days in Georgian Wales. Notice also the lychgate at the entrance where the body of the deceased would be greeted by the priest prior to the funeral service.
In the recent repair campaign we have re-limewashed the interior but this may need further work. Late in 2011 we took the plunge and removed the external render on the west elevation. This revealed high quality stonework underneath which looked as if it was meant to be seen.
We could not run the church without the invaluable help of Suzanne Millard.